Sunday, March 27, 2016

A word to my (future) children

To whom it may concern,
I hope that I can be the best dad you could ever dream of.
I hope I can be there when you win your first soccer game.
I hope I can be there when you lose your first tooth.
I hope that when you score your first goal you tell me all about it, and that you won't stop talking about it for the next month.
I hope that the anxiety from losing a tooth won't stop you from letting me pull it out,
that I can be there when you win an award at the science fair, even if it's just for participating,
that I can be there when you lose your first soccer game, I've been there, I know how it feels.
I hope that when I come home from work I hear your feet running from wherever you are to come give me a big hug.
I hope that you get mad at me when I tell you to finish your dinner so you can get big and strong, so that you can become what I never could.
I want to be in the passenger seat when you drive around the church parking lot for the first time.
I hope that I never have to take work home so that I can hang out with you, instead of the computer.
I hope you tell me when I'm embarrassing you, so I can continue doing whatever I'm doing.
I hope you get into trouble while you still can, adulthood won't be much fun.
I hope you tell me when you've won your first love,
I hope you tell me when you've lost your first love too.
I hope that when you talk about me to your friends it's only about how "awesome" I am,
even though I'm sure it won't always be that way,
because after all, I'll know what's best for you won't I?
On second thought I probably won't even know what's best for me,
so please just bear with me,
I'll probably still be trying to find myself.
But I won't let that stop me from being the "bestest dad" I've always hoped I could be.



1 comment:

  1. This this this this this is beautiful. This is what being a parent should be about.

    ReplyDelete